This page contains resources and tips for OICP students who are researching a company and the industry in which it belongs. While not meant to be a comprehensive list, the suggestions offered here will get them well on their way. While a full suite of company information resources can be found here, and lots of industry resources here, these are the best ones for this specific project.
- Tip: Once you enter OneSource from the Business Blog, you have to click the “OneSource” link at the bottom of the Reference USA page (under “Available Database”) to get to the database. OneSource is fairly simple to use. Just search for your company or your industry in the search boxes on the home page.
- Click here for video tips on using OneSource.
- Tip: Your best bet is to use the “Get Company Info” box on the right side of the page to search for you company. On the company page you will find a good deal of financials, news, and more.
- You can find video tips on using LexisNexis here.
- Use “Reports” tab in Mergent to find Equity Reports for your company, and industry reports for the industry. Bear in mind that the industry coverage is pretty broad, so there may not be a report on your specific industry (check IbisWorld and First Research for more industry coverage). Also, Mergent may not have Equity reports for all companies, but you may be able to find a similar report in OneSource or NetAdvantage.
- The “Competitors” tab is also very useful for quickly benchmarking a company against its peers
- You can download up to 15 years of financial information for your company
- Click here for video tips on using Mergent Online.
Standard & Poor’s NetAdvantage
- Use the industry tab in NetAdvantage to find comprehensive Industry Surveys and to download Industry Financial Data. Note that only about 50 of the largest industries are covered. For more industries, look at IbisWorld or First Research.
- The Stock Reports are also extremely useful in analyzing a company
- The Compustat Excel Analytics provide excellent financial comparisons among industry peers
- Click here for video tips on using NetAdvantage.
The 10-k (annual SEC filings) for individual companies contain financial information for companies, as well as textual descriptions of business strategies, risk factors, competition, and more. Look in Part 1, Item 1 and Item 1A for this information in a company’s 10-K report.
IBISWorld contains in-depth, regularly updated industry reports for over 700 United States NAICS-classified industries that include analysis, forecast, ratios, market share, and more.
Business Source Complete
- One of the best places to look for industry information is in the trade publications that cover the specific industry. Just search for your topic in BSC, and the limit to “Trade Publications” in the options on the left side of the results page.
Mintel Oxygen provides market research reports about consumer markets. Simply search for your company’s product, or the company itself, to see if relevant reports are available.
Passport GMID has both market research reports for product categories in over 70 international markets, as well as industry reports for the United States.