For a capstone, class, students have to understand the issues of Obamacare, fracking, and marijuana legalization, and define whether market solutions, or governmental solutions, are the best option for the issues. This guide points researchers to some key resources that can help them get a broad perspective on the issues and understand more about what these issues involve. Suggested search terms will include marijuana legalization, marijuana regulationfracking, hydraulic fracturing, Obamacare, Affordable care act.
Gale Virtual Reference Library
- The Gale Virtual Reference Library contains articles from a variety of subject-specific online encyclopedias. Think of this as a more-reliable, and more academic version of Wikipedia.
- Simply search GVRL for your topic to get broad, encyclopedic overviews of the issues.
- If you get too many results when searching, use the limiters on the left side of the search results page to limit to “topic overviews”.
- Credo Reference works similarly to the GVRL above, but covers some different sources.
- Simply search Credo for your topic to find additional encyclopedic content to learn more about the issues.
- You’ll get better results if you just search for fracking, marijuana, or Obamacare.
- Opposing Viewpoints is great for getting pro/con sides of an issue, as well as a general overview.
- Simply search for Obamacare, Fracking, or legalizing marijuana to get the articles.
- CQ Researcher covers all of the issues as well, though in a more consistent format that Opposing Viewpoints.
- Just search CQ for your topic, and find reports that address the current issue.
- Articles Plus is the big search box on the library home page.
- First search by your broad topic, then use the Advanced Search Options to add additional keywords.
- It’s likely better to search Articles Plus after you have read through some of the more general content found in the resources below. Being more knowledgeable about an issues can help you better define your search in Articles Plus, thereby giving you more relevant results.
- Use Articles Plus to find articles that address your questions that the more general sources above did not answer.
- Suggested search terms will include marijuana legalization, marijuana regulationfracking, hydraulic fracturing, Obamacare, Affordable care act.