The purpose of this guide is to point business researchers to some key resources when researching the computer and electronics retailing industry. This guide contains several of the key and highly recommended resources when analyzing the industry and researching the companies in the industry. I’ve listed the databases and resources below, with recommendations on how to find the best information in the quickest fashion.
The guide starts with resources for performing an industry analysis, but don’t miss the top picks for company analysis further down the page. For additional tips, take a look at my guides for Industry Research Basics and Company Research Basics.
Post image courtesy of https://www.flickr.com/photos/jbcurio/8233873966/sizes/l
Best Bets for Industry Analysis
The resources in this section are the best bets for analyzing the broad industry.
IbisWorld is a good place to get started for a good overview of several sectors of the industry. There you will find several reports to help in research the various facets of this industry. Try searching for computer retail or electronics retail.
First Research also offers broad industry overviews, which compliment the reports from IbisWorld quite nicely. Search for electronics stores or computer stores.
Passport some excellent market research reports on retailing in specific countries.
- Use the Industries link a the top of Passport, then browse to Consumer Electronics. From there, use the Search Tree to choose relevant product categories, choose geographic area(s), then search for reports.
- It is also useful in finding local company profiles, which include strategy of the companies.
- Passport also addresses the broad Political, Economic, Social, and Technological trends affecting industries. This video shows you how to find information from Passport GMID for your PEST analysis.
Mintel has reports for “Electronics Retailing” as well as “Tablets” and “Laptop and Desktop Computers.”
- The market research reports in Mintel cover consumer buying, demand, preferences, market drivers, and much more.
Use Bizminer to find industry financial ratios, profit-loss reports, and competitive market analyzer reports for the industry. For help understanding Bizminer, take a look at my collection of Bizminer instructional videos.
The 10-k (annual SEC filings) for individual companies in the industry contain financial information for companies, as well as textual descriptions of business strategies, risk factors, competition, and more. Look in Part 1, Item 1 and Item 1A for this information in a company’s 10-K report. You will notice that the companies use some of the similar language found in reports like IBISWorld and others.
Statista is great resource to find some extremely useful statistics for you industry. Simply search for “electronics retail,” “computer stores,” etc. or by company or brand to find stats for your project.
Business Source Complete
Business Source Complete has a lot of useful information that can take your research to the next level. I’ve listed here last not because it is the least important, but because I would us articles and reports from Business Source Complete to fill in the gaps of your research. You will find Industry Profiles and Trade Publications that can enhance the broad coverage of other industry reports. Search for “computer stores” or “electronics retail/stores”.
Top Picks for Company Analysis
The following resources are particularly useful when analyzing specific companies in the industry.
OneSource is another fantastic resource for both company and industry information.
- It has company news, financials, SWOT analyses, ratio comparisons, peer analysis, stock reports and more.
Hoover’s Online has great company and industry information.
- Use the Company tab to search for a particular company to find company financials, competitors, company news, and more.
- Use the Industry Tab to search for your industry terms to find some excellent industry reports. The industry data comes from First Research, which is the same information found via the First Research interface.
Mergent Online is a great tool for looking at both company and industry information.
- Mergent is an excellent tool for in-depth company financial information
- Mergent has company financial ratios
- It has Equity Reports for major companies. Take a look at this video for how to find Equity Reports in Mergent Online.
- It is a great way to compare companies in the same industry. This video shows you how to compare companies in the same home improvement retail industry with Mergent Online.
Factiva is a great resource for looking for news about companies in the industry. You will also find company profiles, financials, ratios, and more in the “Companies & Markets” section of Factiva. This video shows you how to use Factiva effectively when analyzing your company.
In LexisNexis, use the “Get Company Information” search box to search for company information. In addition to company financial information, you will find company news, company organization and subsidiary information, and company legal/lawsuit information.