1804 Special Library Endowment Fund
The 1804 Special Library Endowment Fund enables Ohio University Libraries to develop distinctive collections by providing a means to purchase materials outside the scope and limits of regular acquisitions funds. 1804 Endowment monies are applied toward the purchase of specialized collections and individual items of rare or otherwise extraordinary value that support faculty and student research and learning.
All selections will support the Libraries’ commitment to deliver information and scholarship tailored to the research and learning needs of Ohio University faculty and students. Additionally, selections will meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Entire collections or other larger purchases which meet critical needs
- Unique or scarce materials of any kind and are of scholarly or research value
- Other special purchase opportunities for which no provision is made in any departmental library allocation
Guidelines for Proposal
Proposals may be submitted by any member of the University community. Prior to submitting discuss the proposal with:
- your school/department to obtain the support of your school/department,
- your subject librarian liaison and/or special collections librarian to determine if the endowment is the best source of funding, and
- the Assistant Dean for Collections and Digitization Strategies to confirm availability and pricing or secure a quote.
Download proposal form and submit to the Assistant Dean for Collections and Digitization Strategies. The following elements should be included:
- A brief description of the materials to be purchased
- A cost estimate or an attached quote from the Assistant Dean for Collections and Digital Initiatives
- A brief discussion of:
- How the request fulfills the purpose of the Endowment
- How the request supports current and ongoing research and/or teaching being done at Ohio University
- If the materials are available through OhioLINK or from the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) and an explanation of why Ohio University requires the material if held by either
- A statement regarding school/department support of the proposal
- If applicable, a statement indicating the intention of the proposer to match Endowment monies with other funding sources
The Assistant Dean for Collections and Digitization Strategies will call for proposals once a year, unless funds are deemed lower than desirable by the University Library Committee. Requests with special purchase opportunities that cannot adhere to the timetable may be submitted at will.
March 25, 2019 Deadline for submission of proposals (extended)
July 1, 2019 Announcement of awards
The University Library Committee (ULC) will consider all requests and will rank their recommendations for the Dean of the Libraries’ consideration. The ULC is a standing University committee and consists of appointed faculty members representing a variety of disciplines, students, and administrative and classified staff.
For any proposals, which cannot adhere to the timetable and meet the selection criteria, the Dean of the Libraries will call a special meeting for consideration by ULC.
Upon receiving ULC’s recommendations, the Dean of the Libraries will make final selections based on the recommendations and available funding. In all cases, applicants will be notified of the results in writing by the Assistant Dean of Collections and Digital Initiatives and a public announcement will follow.
For additional information on the Endowment Fund or submission of proposals, contact: Janet Hulm, Assistant Dean for Collections and Digitization Strategies, (740) 597-1968, firstname.lastname@example.org.