Newspaper Article Databases
Searching for Newspaper Articles by Topic
On this page, you’ll find a list of newspaper article databases where you can search for articles on a particular topic. You an use newspaper article databases to search across different newspaper titles, or narrow your search to a single newspaper.
- America’s Newspapers: coverage varies by title, but articles can be found dating from 1978 to present.
- Lexis Nexis: date coverage varies by source, but some coverage dates to the 1970s.
- African American Newspapers: coverage dates range from 1823-1998, and content includes African American focused newspapers from across the United States.
- America’s Historical Newspapers: local and major newspapers. Coverage varies by title, but dates range from1690-2000.
- Access Newspaper Archive: includes historical access to local newspapers from across the United States
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers: full page reproductions of US newspapers from the 1800s
- AltPress Index: searchable index of alternative newspapers and magazines (1969-present)
- Lexis Nexis (dates of coverage vary from approximately the 1970s to present)
- Factiva (current and recent content from around the world)
- Eighteenth Century Journals: Portal to Newspapers and Periodicals (1685-1815)
- Latin American Newspapers (19th and early 20th centuries)
- Times Digital Archive (London Times; 1785-1985)
- Access Newspaper Archive (local newspapers from around the world, coverage is largely historical, but dates vary by title)
- Google News Archive (local newspapers from around the world, coverage is largely historical, but dates vary by title)
Looking for a Specific Newspaper or Specific Article?
If you know you need to find articles in a specific newspaper, start with a Periodical Title search in the ALICE catalog. This will tell you whether the Libraries has a subscription to that newspaper and where it is located. Access to the newspaper may be online, in-print, or on microfilm, depending on the newspaper and the date.