Major US Newspapers
American Newspapers by Title
The links below detail the Libraries’ access to a number of major American newspapers. The format varies by the date and the newspaper, with some papers available online as PDF page images or text-only files, while others are accessible via microfilm.
Other pages on this website explain how you can access newspapers from the state of Ohio or local papers for Athens and Ohio University.
If you don’t see the newspaper you need here, use a Periodical Title Search in the ALICE catalog to see if the title you need is part of the Libraries’ collections.
- Chicago Tribune
- 1996-present: Full text available in the US Newsstream database.
- 1962-2012: Available on microfilm on the first floor of Alden Library.
- 1849-1989: PDF full page images available in the Historical Newspapers database
- Los Angeles Times
- New York Times
- 1980-present: Full text available in the National Newspapers Expanded and Lexis Nexis databases
- 1851-3 years ago: PDF full page images available in the Historical Newspapers database
- USA Today
- Wall Street Journal
- Washington Post
- 1977-present: Full text available in the Lexis Nexis database.
- 1986-present: Full text available in the US Newsstream database.
- 1877-1995: PDF full page images available in the Historical Newspapers database.
Search for Articles on a Topic
Newspaper indexes, like those listed below, let you search for newspaper articles on a particular topic. You can also use them to search for newspaper articles in many different newspapers at a time.
- America’s Newspapers: coverage varies by title, but articles can be found dating from 1978 to present.
- Lexis Nexis: date coverage varies by source, but some coverage dates to the 1970s.
- Lexis Nexis offers sophisticated search tools that make it a resource for content analysis of news coverage.
- Access Newspaper Archive: includes historical access to local newspapers from across the United States
- African American Newspapers: coverage dates range from 1823-1998, and content includes African American focused newspapers from across the United States.
- America’s Historical Newspapers: local and major newspapers. Coverage varies by title, but dates include 1690-2000.