Dissertations and Theses
Looking for an Ohio University thesis or dissertation? See the page on How do I find Ohio University theses and dissertations? For more general search tools, see below. There are two major search tools listed here–Proquest Digital Dissertations and the OhioLINK ETD Center–plus several other supplementary ones.
Formerly known as Dissertation Abstracts, the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses A&I database covers well over 2 million doctoral dissertations and masters theses from around the world. The complete database includes citations going back to the year 1637. The type of coverage and availability of full text, however, varies by date:
- 1637-1980: Online database has citations only; no abstracts. Full text available (for a fee) from ProQuest.
- 1938-1980: Alden Library has a set of microfilms (on the 1st floor) which does include abstracts.
- 1981 to the present: Online database includes abstracts. Full text available (for a fee) from ProQuest.
- 1988 to the present: includes Masters theses with abstracts
- 1997 to the present:
- 24-page free previews available for most documents
- Free acess to full text of ALL Ohio University theses and dissertations
Access to Proquest Digital Dissertations is limited to members of Ohio University. There are numerous other (less comprehensive) freely available sources of information on theses and dissertations: Related Pages in left sidebar.
OhioLINK ETD Center
The OhioLINK Electronic Theses and Dissertations Center includes citations, abstracts and in most cases full text of theses and dissertations written at member institutions since 2000. The full text of theses and dissertations is in PDF format and is freely available to anyone.
The site also includes instructions for authors on how to create and submit their electronic thesis or dissertation.
Or you can browse ETDs by school and department.
An “international organization dedicated to promoting the adoption, creation, use, dissemination, and preservation of electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs).” The search engine includes millions of electronic theses and dissertations. For more information, see the main website.
“Aims to be the best possible resource for finding open access graduate theses and dissertations published around the world.” Here is a selected list of contributing institutions.
Provides the full text of open access dissertations and theses free of charge.
WorldCat contains records from thousands of libraries around the world. To limit your search to theses or dissertations, follow this procedure:
- Click on the link above.
- Enter your search term(s).
- Under Limit results by, choose Content: Thesis/dissertation.