General Statistical Sources
- Statista — contains data on over 60,000 topics from over 18,000 sources. More info and a tutorial video on Statista.
- Wolfram Alpha — a “computational knowledge” search engine that enables searching for basic statistics & data on various topics.
- American Factfinder — contains population, housing, economic, and geographic data.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States— published annually since 1878, this is the standard summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States, with data from both government and private sources.
- Historical Statistics of the United States — covers all aspects of American history “from the earliest times to the present.”
- StateMaster — compilation of data from many sources; allows easy comparison between states.
- CIA World Fact Book— “information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities.”
- Europa World Plus — Economic, political, historical, and geographic profiles of 250+ countries and global regions. Contact information for political, business, media, and cultural agencies and officials, including 1,900 international organizations.
- NationMaster — compilation of data from many sources; allows easy comparison between countries.
- UN Data — compilation of more than 30 databases; also include links to official statistical sources for individual countries.
LibGuides — many of our LibGuides (research guides for classes and subject areas) contain information on statistical sources. Here is a link to all Guides which contain the word statistics.
Emory University Electronic Data Center — The “Data Freeway” contains a large number of links to data sources, arranged by subject. Because this is not an Ohio University site, a few of the links lead to sources for Emory University only; if you are asked for a login to one of these, it won’t do any good to try. Instead, copy the name of the database and search for it by Title in ALICE.