[INDONESIA-L] AI - Death Penalty Ap

From: apakabar@clark.net
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 11:53:00 EDT

Forwarded message:
From owner-indonesia-l@indopubs.com Fri Sep 19 14:48:42 1997
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:40:40 -0600 (MDT)
Message-Id: <199709191840.MAA20675@indopubs.com>
To: indonesia-l@indopubs.com
From: apakabar@clark.net
Subject: [INDONESIA-L] AI - Death Penalty Appeal in Timika Case
Sender: owner-indonesia-l@indopubs.com

Date: 18 Sep 97 17:52:25 -0400
From: UA E-Mail Incoming <UA%AI-UK@amnesty.org.uk>
Subject: AI UA115/97 INDONESIA DP

EXTERNAL AI Index: ASA 21/74/97

                                       18 September 1997

Further information on UA 115/97 (ASA 21/26/97, 25 April 1997) -

Death Penalty

INDONESIA Second Lieutenant Sanurip, 37

Second Lieutenant Sanurip, who was sentenced to death in April 1997

for killing 16 people in 1996, has lost an appeal to the Surabaya

Military High Court. The appeal decision appears to have been made

on 18 June 1997 but was only reported in the Indonesian media on 9

September. Sanurip is now lodging an appeal to the Indonesian

Supreme Court. He has also been discharged from the Indonesian Armed

Forces and ordered to pay a nominal court fee.

Sanurip, a member of Indonesia's Special Forces Command, Kopassus,

was convicted of the murder of 11 soldiers and five civilians in

Timika, Irian Jaya, in April 1996. The Military Tribunal's decision

was handed down on 23 April 1997. Sanurip was in Irian Jaya as part

of the military operation to secure the release of 11 hostages being

held by the Organisasi Papua Merdeka (OPM), Free Papua Movement. The

shootings occurred at Timika Airport around 5 am on 15 April 1996,

after two members of ABRI (Indonesia's armed forces) were killed

during an attempt to release the hostages. Some media reports

suggested that Sanurip became angry when he realised that one of the

soldiers killed by the OPM was a friend. Members of the armed forces

killed during the shooting spree included a lieutenant colonel, a

major and a captain. At least 10 others were wounded.

Amnesty International was concerned that during the first military

tribunal, evidence of the suspect's state of mental health at the

time of the killings was rejected by the tribunal. Immediately after

the shootings, the ABRI Chief of General Affairs, Lt-Gen Soeyono,

stated that Sanurip was suffering from depression. Soeyono was

quoted as saying that, based on a preliminary military investigation

into the shootings, "...the suspect had a mental problem when he

went on this shooting spree". (Jakarta Post, 16 April 1996). Other

military spokespersons claimed at the time that Sanurip had been

suffering from malaria and that this was the cause of his mental

state at the time of the shooting.

Amnesty International continues to monitor proceedings, but for the

time being no further action by the UA Network is requested. If,

at a later stage, execution appears imminent, the network may once

again be asked to take action on this case. Many thanks to all who

sent appeals.