United Nations Documents
The United Nations documents collection is located on the 5th floor of Alden Library in the Government Documents Collection and has two parts:
- 1946 – 1992, paper copies of the Official Records of the main organs of the U.N.
- 1991 – present, a complete microfiche collection of all non-copyrighted publications of the United Nations.
A limited amount of the U.N. material can be found in the ALICE Catalog. For more comprehensive indexing of recent publications, there are three indexes available.
- For material published 1991-2002, use Access UN (access restricted to current Ohio University students, faculty and staff when off-campus; guest user access available in Alden Library).
- For United Nations Development Programme Project Reports issued and held by UN headquarters between the years 1972-1998, use Access UNDP (access restricted to current Ohio University students, faculty and staff when off-campus; guest user access available in Alden Library).
- For a more inclusive index, you’ll want to use Index to United Nations Documents and Publications (access restricted for all users to computers in Alden Library only).
The indexes give a citation and a U.N. call number. Most material published since 1991 is available on microfiche in the in the Government Documents Collection.
In addition to indexes to the Official Records, the Documents Department houses early indexes to U.N. material in paper form, such as:
- United Nations Index – (1950-1973) UN/ST/LIB/SER.E/Vol. . . .
- UNDEX – (1974-1978) UN/ST/LIB/SER.I/ . . .
- UNDOC (1979-1996) UN/ST/LIB/SER.M/ . . .
For in-depth research assistance, contact Kelly Broughton for an appointment.
More information about UN publications can be found at: