This post comes from Karmen Beecroft, digital projects librarian, at Alden Library.
In January 1925, Anne Keating, OHIO’s first female library director, left her hometown of Terre Haute, Indiana to assume responsibilities as the Ohio University librarian at the Carnegie Library on the Athens Campus.
With over 50,000 books and four library assistants, Keating immediately embarked upon an ambitious remodeling plan for the crowded Carnegie Library including “a new reference room and more commodious reading room,” as well as “a better and more complete children’s room.”
Reporting on Keating’s progress, OHIO’s student newspaper, The Green and White, stated: “…the very smell of the paint and varnish used in the library redecoration attests to the initiative and leadership of the new librarian. Several changes in location and library procedure have already been announced, and are now being planned and executed. (4)”
Keating’s ambition to make the Library’s resources more available to students was also noted in the student-run newspaper: “Stacks privilege[s] to be granted to students soon…to make the library more useful and attractive. (4)”
All photos courtesy of the Mahn Center