The schedule of events for the Fall 2017 #FinalsByAlden festivities is now available!
With the end of the semester and Finals Week approaching for students, we’re busy planning our own Finals Week activities for those of you spending many hours finishing final projects and papers and preparing for your final exams in the library.
We’ll also return to our Finals Week extended hours beginning Friday, December 2.
- Long Night Against Procrastination: We’ll kick off our Finals By Alden activities with an anti-procrastination extravaganza on Monday, November 28. Join us between 6pm and midnight as we take over the Faculty Commons. Tutors from the Graduate Writing and Research Center and the Student Writing Center will be on-hand to provide assistance with those final papers and librarians will be available to answer any last-minute research and citation questions. The largest meeting room in the Faculty Commons will be transformed into a low-tech silent study and writing space. When you need a break from your work, you can also stop in the Faculty Commons for coffee or a snack or stress-busting activity like button or origami-making.
- Pop-Up Touch Lab: Each semester, special collections librarian Miriam Intrator brings out pop-up books from the Libraries Special Collections for you to explore during a study break. Stop by the 4th floor lobby area on Tuesday, November 29 between 3 and 4 to take a look at these unique library materials and see additions to the collection that are new this semester.
- Pizza Courtesy of Phi Beta Kappa: Ohio University’s Phi Beta Kappa chapter will provide pizza for students studying in the library on Wednesday, November 30.
- Therapy Dog Visits: A Twitter poll a few weeks ago indicated that, not surprisingly, our visits with therapy dogs are the most popular events we have during Finals Week. This year, we’ll have two opportunities to visit with therapy dogs Bullet and Buddy.
- BINGO Study Break: New this semester, we’re adding a chance to take a break from your studies, have a snack and win prizes at our BINGO study break on Thursday, December 1.
- Film Showing: No classes means more free time during Finals Week. On Monday, December 5 use the free time to join us for a free showng of a fun film in the Friends Room. Title to be decided by a vote on Twitter and Instagram (we’re @AldenLibrary on both).
- Button Making Craft Breaks: Exercise your creative energy with one of our two button-making sessions on the 4th floor.
- Twitter Trivia Contest: And finally, our original Finals Week activity returns on Monday, December 5. Follow @AldenLibrary on Twitter and be the first to answer one of five trivia questions about Ohio University history for a chance to win a prize!
Full Activity Details
|Monday, November 28||6pm-midnight||Faculty Commons (Alden Library 3rd floor)||Long Night Against Procrastination|
|Tuesday, November 29||3-4pm||4th floor lobby||Pop-Up Touch Lab|
|Wednesday, November 30||5-7pm||Friends Room (Alden Library 319)||Therapy Dog Visit|
|8-10pm||4th floor lobby||Pizza provided by Phi Beta Kappa|
|Thursday, December 1||3-4pm||4th floor lobby||Button Making Craft Break|
|6-8pm||Friends Room (Alden Library 319)||BINGO Study Break|
|Monday, December 5||2am||2nd floor Learning Commons||Final Bites Coffee & Snacks|
|12-2pm||Friends Room (Alden Library 319)||Therapy Dog Visit|
|2:30pm||Friends Room (Alden Library 319)||Free showing of “Born to Fly”|
|7-8pm||Online via Twitter (follow @AldenLibrary)||Twitter Trivia Contest|
|Tuesday, December 6||2-3pm||4th floor lobby||Button Making Craft Break|
|5-7pm||Friends Room (Alden Library 319)||Therapy Dog Visit|